Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What would you do?


This past Saturday I met a remarkable girl. I was working at our Country Store when in walked a petite dark haired young girl. I asked if I could assist her and she politely smiled and said she was just looking. I was talking with my partner DJ when I looked out the window and noticed this girls dog in the front seat of her car.

It was about 90+ degrees out but a nice breeze and she had the windows down. I asked her if she would like to bring her dog in while she shopped. She informed us that she couldn't because she also had another dog in the back seat who very recently had a front leg amputated due to bone cancer. I had to know the whole story and asked if I could go see the dogs.

She eagerly walked me out to her car (a 4 or 5 yr old Pontiac). The young dog in the front was a happy Rottwieler. Very friendly dog with a sweet disposition. The 7 yr old Rottie in the back seat had a white sheet cape tied around his/her shoulder. There was a wet blood mark where the wound was still seeping (not too bad but bad enough). The girl apologized several times that I had to see the blood stains. I assured her that I understood the circumstances and just wanted to see the patient!

Surprisingly the dog looked happy yet a bit uncomfortable, as to be expected. The girl went on the explain that she has had the dog since it was born. She found out about the bone cancer a month ago and had to come up with over $2000 for the amputation. She is now paying $700 each for FIVE chemo therapy treatments. She explained that the A/C went out on her car but would have to wait because the dog was more important than her comfort. ( For those of you who live in Texas, you know what a monumental sacrafice that was)

She said last week the A/C went out on their house and that set them back a tidy sum. Then the starter went out on her husbands pickup. She sat in the parking lot of their church and wept. Her husband reminded her that God wouldn't put more on them than they could handle. (I jokingly asked her if she still subcribed to that idea)
I swear just when you think you have the worst load of problems on your shoulders, you meet a girl like this.

It was so obvious how much she loved her animals. She explained that from the moment she took them in that they became her responsibility. It never dawned on her to put the animal down so she could drive to work in the comfort of A/C. I honestly don't know if I would have done the same thing.

I know there are tons of nay sayers out there who would never consider spending their hard earned money in this fashion. I love my animals. I in fact just spent $500 on an ear infection my great pyrenese chronically suffers from. But when the amount exceeds $4.000 something else kicks in. Selfishness? Practicality? What? I am pretty sure I would have done what she did but I guess I won't know until I am put in that position.

God bless her. The love she feels for her canine companions is all the reason she needed. Some of you might think it is wastefull yet spend thousands on boats and $4 Starbucks coffee without blinking an eye. I guess to each his own.

I hope I see her again. She is somebody special.

 

14 comments:

tashabud said...

This is such a very sad story. My heart goes out to her. Hope her dog will get well soon and that her financial situation will improve soon, too. If there's something we can do for her, just let me know.

Karen and Gerard said...

It does seem like struggles seem to come all at once, doesn't it? Our pets are like members of the family and it's just so easy to become attached to them. It's good that God is there to help us through our problems! Praise be to God!

Jean9 said...

This is a touching story of a very compassionate person.

Anonymous said...

That's a tuff one all right. I love my pets and feel I would do anything for them, but on the other hand, $4,000 could wipe out a person's savings and cause a good deal of hardship, and what if the cancer returns. I don't really know - I too hope I would have done what she did, but I just don't know. I'd have to weigh how happy the pet's life would be after the surgery and with all the treatments that would be required, along with the long-term prognosis.

Jules said...

Very good points WildCats3!
It is a very tough situation for sure.

Jean9~ She is very compassionate. I decided I want to have a raffle of one of my western pitcures in my shoppe. I will sell the tickets for $25 each for a picture of the winners choice valued up to $300. Most of our picutes are western and range from $189 to $289. Maybe I can raise enough for a chemo treatment. Whatever I can do isn't enough..

Jules said...

Tasha and Karen...
Thank you both for your caring responses! I love my friends I've made on my blog. Such wonderful souls you all are!

Briget said...

She is paying more than the vet bills .. the cost of a sick animal .. one you have watched grow from cuteness to naughtiness.. is emotional too.
When someone you love is hurting, whether it is an animal or a sibling, you will do whatever it takes to help them..
So If you see her again.. Give her a hug and tell her that she isnt alone.. She probably needs that more than her A/C.

tashabud said...

Jules, your idea is very good. Kindly email me the address where I can send my contribution? Thanks.

Vikki North said...

Hi Jules,
I add my sympathies to the list here. It�s a hard thing. Her pups are her children. My kitty Manny had to have his tail amputated. It was broken in two places and not salvageable.-$850.

I have some questions about Kemo, not just for animals, but also for people. I watched my mother die of cancer. She had gone into remission for a period of time (post Kemo) and then it came back. She refused to do the Kemo again and died in less than a year. It was the hardest thing I ever experienced dealing with her decision. But the Kemo so reduces the quality of life. They are horrendously ill under that therapy. These animals we love can�t make that decision for themselves.

I don�t know what I would do. My heart just breaks for her.
Vikki

Matt said...

I just love stories like this. I know what I would do for my animals! What a good-hearted young lady. Count me in on the raffle.

Jules said...

You are so sweet Tasha. I certianly will let you know when I have the raffle set up!

Because I can... you are so right. She is (in her words) helping a member of her family. I did give her a hug with tears stinging both of our eyes.

Evergreen loves Kilroy said...

What an amazing story. If only people thought more like this young woman (including myself, because I agree with you in that I don't know if I could have chosen between euthanization and unimaginable bills).

Let me know too if there is an address to donate!

Jules said...

Matt and Kilroy,

You two also have hearts of gold!
I will certainly have a post with the raffle information by this weekend...

Thanks everyone. I will be sure to ask her if I can take her and her baby's picture for the blog!

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

You know, I think that you would help your dogs. I have a 3 legged cat and prior to that I took in a 13 year old one eyed cat on deaths bed. He was always sick and therefore I was always broke but the love you feel just trancends the pocketbook. After reading your blog I am pretty sure you would do anything too. What an amazing girl!